Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Authors in the YA Genre

Top Ten Tuesday is an event hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme is top ten favorite authors of any genre of my choosing. Since I read mostly YA, it only makes sense, right? It was definitely hard to narrow them all down, but it's been done so here it is. The list only includes authors I've read, so bear with me if you find the list limited. Also, it's not in any particular order.

1. Cassandra Clare
  • Author of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, she cleverly winds these two worlds together. Clare makes the top ten because she makes the most lovable characters. ^.^
2.  Richelle Mead
  • Author of the Vampire Academy series which I just adore! I'll have to admit, I only started the series because it was about vampires, but I'm very over that now. Looking past the vampires though, Rose and Dimitri were what kept me. Their love story is so tragic and the overall plot was great. The Romanian vampires were cool to read about too.
3. Suzanne Collins
  • Author of The Hunger Games trilogy, this was a great dystopian novel. While I still feel that Katniss should have ended up with Gale, the plot was excellent. Collins made the top ten list because her story pulled me in and was unlike any other that I've read. The characters are well shaped and the world is a place that I can see, but I don't think I would ever want to live in.
4. L.J. Smith
  • I have to admit that she's only on this list for writing the Night World series and her two trilogy novels Dark Visions and The Forbidden Game. These are the books that I wanted to read more than once. I didn't care much for The Vampire Diaries (the T.V. show, I heard, was much better anyways). Also, I think her name choices are excellent. 
5. Stephenie Meyer
  • Before my head gets bitten off, she's not on here for the Twilight series. She's here because she wrote this fabulous book called The Host. I love that book. There's a far-off rumor that she's planning a sequel, but it's taking so long that I'm not getting my hopes up. The Host was a great book as it is. It could go with or without a sequel.
6. Catherine Fisher
  • She wrote Incarceron. I liked this book because the concept was intriguing. Fisher tried to make a love story but ended up failing at that. She made it on here because my mind was blown by the time I got to the end of the book.
7. Maggie Stiefvater
  • Maggie made it on here less for the books she wrote and more for her blog. Even though I own the whole Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy all signed and personalized, her personality wins out over them all. Even so, I'm excited to get my hands on her latest book The Raven Boys. I read an excerpt on amazon, and I can't wait to read the rest of it.
8. Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Well duh, she's on here because she wrote Obsidian. I love this book!  The way that Katy and Daemon's relationship is is fantastic! I've re-read Obsidian 5 times. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of her first. But like I said, this list is no particular order. If it was, Armentrout would be first for sure.
9. NisiOisiN
  • Don't know how to pronounce the name or even if it belongs to a male or female, but I do know that this person wrote the best murder mystery novel ever! Oy, I'm not even sure if it's YA. The book is Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases. In fact, it might even be more towards the manga genre of books for the reason that the characters and world are directly out of an anime. Ugh, but how could I not include the brilliant author of this fabulous book? It should be included in every genre. Pft, I'm a young adult and I read it, so therefore it must be a young adult book. (Accept my fallacy!)
10. L.A. Weatherly
  • This last one was hard to decide on. Weatherly won out because Angel Burn made me smile. The romance and everything is just something that I love to read about. Though I'm not crazy with how Weatherly names her charcters, the characters themselves are strong and motivated.
 Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Comments and feedback are greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I am almost finished with The Raven Boys and it's great! Wasn't a huge fan of Wolves of Mercy Falls, but I h ave been won over with this one. I cannot believe I have not read Vampire Academy yet-working on fixing that! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1gn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan either, but she was having a book signing and those were the only Maggie books that I had at the time.

      Vampire Academy is a great series! Thanks for the comment! <3

      Delete
  2. Cassandra Clare is the best! I will seriously read anything she ever writes. :D
    I'm a new fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. I just recently read Obsidian and Onyx, and I'm completely hooked on her books!
    (Also, to answer the question you left in a comment on my blog...Yes, John Green really is a great author! I highly recommend his books. :D)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete