Sunday, October 7, 2012

I Miss It Already

Matched
By Ally Condie

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

Ugh where do I start? How about this world that Ally Condie has created. I don't have an complaints or problems with it, but I felt like it could be developed more. I suppose I wanted a bit more description. How they got their food was a bit confusing for me. Did it travel to a place inside their house? How was this set up? Did all of the houses look the same? What color were they? Now Cassia's house has a porch? When did this happen? These little unknown details irk me. The book could have used more descriptive details, I think, even if only to make the world feel more realistic.

The story went smoothly. The character development was lacking. Ky must have been the most developed character, with Cassia coming in second. Xander, for being Cassia's best friend, was an alarmingly flat character.
Cassia's betrayal of Xander would have been a lot more heart gripping if I had known more of their friendship. Honestly, from the beginning, Cassia's and Xander's relationship felt forced. I wasn't buying it. Just telling me that the two have a deep friendship isn't selling it. I don't see any evidence of this in the novel.

I miss reading this novel. I want to go back and read it again despite all of my criticisms. I love that Cassia is fighting for her love with Ky against all odds.
Even now that she has to go find him with not even a slim chance of ever seeing him again. I can appreciate that. Also the fact that she's searching for the truth and not just accepting everything the Society has been feeding her her whole life. I want to read this book again even though I have college essays to write and I really didn't have time to read it the first time.

Maybe I'll get the sequel for Christmas. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment